Friday 1 January 2016

Hello. Welcome to the project! Predictably, I have left it very late as I went to bed at 4am last night, and my brain is made of scrambled eggs. Also, the Mall was closed today- which I should have anticipated. However, this evening I took a walk around the area just to make a start. I wrote an Instagram poem as I was taken by the magic and science fiction of the closed centre. I will be taking lots of pictures- you can follow me here if you like that kind of thing. I feel like explaining what I am up to, but I want the project to speak for itself so hope you can find your way. I will be at the Mall every weekday for a year (unless I go on holiday) so come and say hello if you like. I will post on Twitter where I am every day. Here is the first poem!




the first day. the mall sits closed and quiet as a ghost ship.




strange lights and shrubs vogue slow in the winter breeze. christmas: dead as a doornail




denied. the photobooths have had enough. in the gaps between gobstoppers: whispers.




cycle thieves, we are watching you,




i believe that children are the future,




the end of the east end. space stations form in tiny playgrounds. a dog clatters hard across the starboard.




a portal opens. on one side- articles, on the other... entire blackness,




the grass, soaked in the blood of last minute shoppers.




dr david macklin hangs frozen like an aghast god- forever watching us, fatherlike with his yorkshire man's eyes,




alien life: no laughing matter-




hiding, there in the tacked on trees.



1 comment: